The total Intellectual Property (IP) of a company is often referred to as collected intellectual capital. A part of the valuation of start-up companies, especially technology related in the earlier pre-revenue phase, is done by looking at the collected intellectual capital (or IP).
Such IP involves a/o the company’s patent portfolio, copy rights, trade secrets, know how, technology capabilities and key-people.
For specific businesses both start-up as well as more mature companies, access to specific IP via e/g a (technology) license is a key factor for the overall success. Saying so, the generation, maintenance, retention and security aspects of IP are very important to any company.
Often a review of the IP position and/or definition of an IP strategy are first actions to. In this case the IP strategy is defined as: the development of a course of actions that develops and utilizes intellectual property to enable a company to sustainably realize higher value, higher prices, increase market share and/or maintain lower cost than the competition.
Specific IP related capabilities that I own and further offer as a service:
- General IP review or due-diligence
- Definition of IP strategy
- Idea brainstorming, looking at patentability
- Preparation of concept filing
- Guide patent filing process (with a partner patent & IP attorney company)
- Guide trade name & trademark (copyright) protection
- Draft claims & specification review and discussion
- Patent filing strategy, i/e national vs. PCT continuation
- IP agreements & documentation (with Legal)
- Technology licensing (with Legal)
- Various tbd other
In case you are in need for any of such IP capabilities or support, please do not hesitate to contact me.